50 Things We Love About the Maldives

50 Things We Love About the Maldives

I’m still undecided if the Maldives is my favorite country I’ve traveled to, but it’s certainly the most beautiful. It’s a country we were both quick to fall in love with.

So to kick off our #MaldivesMonth here on Besudesu Abroad, we wanted to start by telling you 50 Things We Love About the Maldives. Plain and simple– just like the islands themselves.

Maldives - Nov 2013

21. Tasting local flavors of fresh seafood and spicy curries

22. Enjoying your own private beach or atoll

23. Maldivian storms

24. How colorful local areas become during voting season

25. Sipping cocktails like there’s no tomorrow

Maldives - Nov 2013

26. Being in one of the few countries that has NO McDonalds– but they do have a Burger King

27. Massages on the water pavilion

Maldives - Nov 2013

46. Kayaking over coral reefs

47. Seeing more types of fish in person than I knew existed

48. Catching glimpses of sea turtles from our boat

49. Walks along the sand bank at low tide

50. Promising to someday return

What would YOU love about the Maldives?

• geanine says:

I would love being on a large island but barely seeing anyone around me! I am a people person, however when I am on vacation I enjoy ignoring the outside world and focusing on my family alone. So often we are influenced by outside interference, vacation is time for me to be with my littles and hubby alone:)

Oh, I’m very much a people person… but there’s something so serene about being on an island without lots of people while on vacation. Pure relaxation!

• Adanna says:

The Maldives is on the top of my travel list. I want to get there and savor every gorgeous moments and sights. I’m from the Caribbean do I understand the lure and magic in these gorgeous islands.

That’s awesome that you’re from the Caribbean! I’ve only been to the Bahamas, but I’d love to explore the region more.

• Tami says:

I love the photos you’ve shared. The scenes are absolutely beautiful! I am not one for snorkeling but I’ll go for the sea plane rides, candle light dinners and hibiscus.

• Nicci says:

It would be nice to be less connected to the digital world at times. We are so used to technology everywhere, it would be relaxing to live in a country where digital distractions and clocks aren’t everywhere you look. The Maldives sounds like a fantastic place to visit.

Oh definitely! As a blogger I feel like I’m online 24-7. It’s nice to disconnect every once and a while :)

• MJ says:

Your pictures are simply breathtaking. I would love to visit the Maldives. How is it pronounced exactly? I think exploring the world is so amazing and people should do it if they can. I didn’t get a chance but I hope to expose my children to the world.

It’s always hard to type pronunciation, but it would be something like mall and then “deeves” rather than “dives”, like scuba dives ;)
      I also hope to expose my children to different cultures!

• All of your pictures are just breathtaking!!! I love tropical paradises like this they are perfect for relaxing and exploring!! Going to have to put this on my list of places to travel to and see!

• It’s absolutely stunning. I would love to visit some day. The pictures are breathtaking! I would love to walk along the sand, and just see the sights. It looks so relaxing!

• Sue Lau says:

The photos you have taken really are stunning! I feel they really show off the beautiful landscape and beaches. I think I could just park myself at the beach and stare at the water for hours.

• Katie Baird says:

I’m a scuba diver and would LOVE to make it to the Maldives. Thanks for the beautiful pictures and info. Spending most of my time in the Caribbean right now because it’s such a short flight from D.C.

• Queenie says:

Wow! The Maldives looks and sounds absolutely incredible! Would love to visit one day :)

• Upasna says:

Gorgeous!!!
    I’ve been hoping to plan a trip to the Maldives myself. This makes me want to book my tickets today! :)

• WOW those are great photos! i live in India and can’t wait to make a trip to the maldives!! awesome

• Johnny says:

I like Maldives too.

• Audrey says:

It looks like paradise! Your photos really capture the beauty of the place, and I love that sunset shot!

Thanks Audrey! It was the perfect place to spend a week just relaxing– so different from Hong Kong! haha

• Corinne says:

Gorgeous! I sooo need to get to the Maldives for a total relaxation vacation. The photos are great!

• Agness says:

First of all, your photos are amazing and they would be the first reason to fall in love with Maldives! Secondly, waking up each morning to a beautiful sunrise is my dream come true next February so I hope to make it there!!

Aw, thanks Agness! Let me know if you need any help planning… I don’t think it’ll fit under your $25 dollars a day, but you can certainly do it for cheaper than most people expect.

• Shaz says:

Sounds magical! I can’t wait to hear more. The Maldives have been high on my list since as long as I can remember. I’m most drawn to private islands and snorkeling :) As well as food, people, rainbows, eco-tourism, and well, pretty much everything you mentioned above.

We pretty much loved everything about the Maldives! I really hope you get to visit there soon.