Hello World (Goodbye Hong Kong)

Hello World (Goodbye Hong Kong)

As I’m writing this, I am sitting in the airport in Hong Kong, the last minutes of our time here ticking down.

This past week was full of going away parties– farewell dinners with family, drinks with friends and coworkers. Being an expat is an amazing experience, but due to the short-lived nature of most expats’ careers abroad, saying goodbye is something you have to deal with frequently. But that doesn’t make it any easier, especially when you’re the one who’s leaving.

Throughout the dinners I tried to ignore the truth of the situation, that we were, in fact, leaving, because the truth is? I’m not ready to go.

I absolutely love this part of the world. The food, the scenery, the culture and even the weather, I just love Asia. Ever since I was young I’ve had a fascination with this part of the world, and traveling here only confirmed that Asia is truly where my heart lies.

I felt the exact same way when I was leaving Japan after living there. And you know what? It’s been nearly 3 years since I moved to Japan, and I still miss it every single day.

When you stay in one place for so long, it becomes like a second home, and to me, Hong Kong is just that.

Johnny and I had grown super comfortable in our lives here– the first real life we’ve built together outside of university. We had a routine, we had regular places we’d frequent, we experienced happy times, silly times and even sad ones too.

But most of all, living here forced me to push my limits, and also allowed me to discover my true passions, my purpose, and for that I am truly thankful.

While traveling and living abroad is a life changing experience that I wouldn’t trade for anything, it still isn’t easy leaving little pieces of your heart all over the world.

So even though I am leaving Hong Kong for now, I have so many good things to look forward to– #BlogHouse in Chicago, traveling across Europe, #TBEX in Mexico, and even a few press trips that are all in the works.

I’m taking on this blog and freelancing full-time and can now officially say I am a travel blogger.

Am I terrified? Absolutely! Could I fail? Totally. But the only way to find out is to dive in head first and give it my all.

So on that note, I say goodbye Hong Kong and hello world. There are many countries I plan on visiting, especially over the next 6 months. And I know now, that with each new country you visit, there’ll always be a risk that part of your heart will be left behind. But I guess that’s just a risk you have to take, and one I’m willing to take. I hope to fall in love with at least a dozen more countries in my lifetime!

The pain, the heartache, I promise you, it’s so worth it.

1. June 13, 2014 / 11:28 pm

Yes, I can imagine how you must feel.
    I don’t want to imagine how I would feel if I ever leave Japan. I’ve been here for 7 years now. ;__;

Wow, I wish you all the best with being a full-time travel blogger! Sounds very exciting. I bet you were able to save some money while in Hong Kong, so enjoy travelling.
    Can’t wait to read about your trips! ^_____^

September 28, 2014 / 11:08 am

Wow, 7 years in Japan! That’s something to celebrate for sure!

I seriously miss Japan every day. I’m hoping to go back for an extended visit hopefully in 2015… it’s really the only country that I’d consider taking a job for just to get to live there again.

2. June 6, 2014 / 2:53 am

Congratulations!
    I just moved back home from being in Germany and it was scarrrrry! I’m so jealous of you being able to do blogging full time though! I can’t wait to read even more of your adventures!

September 28, 2014 / 11:07 am

I’m jealous of you being in Germany!! After visiting this summer, I’d love to return to spend more time there. I’m possibly contemplating going back to school there…

3. June 4, 2014 / 8:27 pm

I can totally understand your feelings of not being ready to go but, although you’ll miss it, you’ve got some amazing things to look forward to! Good luck! :-)

June 7, 2014 / 12:30 pm

I know I’ll be back again, and I am getting pretty excited for what’s to come. :)

4. June 4, 2014 / 8:03 am

New adventures! I was sad leaving London after living there for so long, and I still miss it, but I love my new life in Sydney too. I hope that you enjoy traveling in Europe, it is my favourite part of the World :)

June 7, 2014 / 12:30 pm

Sydney sounds like it would be amazing! I’d love to get out that way someday. Glad to hear you really love Europe! :)

June 7, 2014 / 12:31 pm

Thank you Stefania! I have a feeling I might ;)

5. June 3, 2014 / 10:15 am

Lucky you! I’m so excited to hear about your TBEX experience and Europe trip. I’m back in Europe in 5 weeks so we definitely need to meet up. I’m moving to Amsterdam in August so feel free to come over!

June 7, 2014 / 12:31 pm

Oh wow, what parts of Europe will you be in? Back in Poland? I’m looking to possibly go back to school in the Netherlands maybe in the next year, so it’s a possibility!

June 7, 2014 / 12:33 pm

Have you been to a TBEX before?

6. June 3, 2014 / 5:04 am

Congratulations on taking that big leap of faith! :) Exciting times ahead for sure, and I look forward to following the adventures.

June 7, 2014 / 12:33 pm

Thanks Jean! It’s a bit scary, but hoping I can make it work. :)

7. June 3, 2014 / 2:10 am

Good luck, Beth! Your blog is awesome and beautiful and you’ll do amazingly :)

September 28, 2014 / 11:06 am