Find Your Sense of Adventure in Hong Kong

Find Your Sense of Adventure in Hong Kong

Hong Kong is more than just a haven for shoppers or a paradise for foodies. While most people may not think of Hong Kong as an adrenaline-fuelled destination, there is plenty of adventure to be had there.

With great weather year-round, outdoor activities are always an option that most people never even think about when visiting.

So once your stomach is full and your credit card is maxed, why not try one of these outdoor thrills?

Hiking

Hong Kong

Hong Kong is home to over 300 kilometres of trails with stunning backdrops. There are many paths for all skill levels that will have you climbing through nature reserves, old historical sites, traditional Hakka villages or even with monkeys.

Scuba Diving and Snorkeling

Summer is the best time to do either of these activities, when water temperatures reach an inviting 30˚C. Visibility can be anywhere from 5 to 20 metres, depending on the day, but Hong Kong has over 80 different varieties of coral, making it an ideal spot for diving or snorkelling. That’s more types of coral than in the Caribbean!

Playing War Games

Hong Kong

Like laser tag but better, war games give you the opportunity to dress up in camouflage and run around the woods while shooting at your friends with airsoft rifles. Located in the New Territories, some establishments have up to 15 different outdoor arenas to choose from, perfect for all-day fun. Be sure to wear protective gear.

Paragliding

A great way to see Hong Kong is from above. If you’re daring enough, there are over 10 paragliding locations scattered throughout Hong Kong, each of which will give you a perfect bird’s eye view. The most popular places are Ma On Shan and Cloudy Hills, as these locations allow you to soar from an impressive height of 762 metres.

Squid Fishing

Hong Kong

This favourite pastime of Hong Kongers is not to be missed during the summer months. As squids are attracted to light, large junk boats will take groups out after dark for an adventurous night out. Just make sure to wear old clothes in case one squirts its ink at you!

Pink Dolphin Spotting

Book an excursion to go pink dolphin spotting. These dolphins are the pinkest in the world, but with their population decreasing almost 60 percent in the last decade, they are now in danger of extinction. Spend the day learning about them and the environmental challenges they face, while watching them in their natural habitat. All cruises have a 97 percent sighting rate and if you don’t spot any, passengers are entitled to another trip free of charge.

All Types of Boating

Hong Kong

Many people focus so much on Hong Kong as a city, they forget it’s actually an archipelago of over 260 islands. Since most of these islands are small and uninhabited, the best way to explore them is by boat. Scattered amongst the Hong Kong Geopark, you’ll find many pristine beaches and rock formations unique to Hong Kong. So whether you charter a luxury yacht, hire a traditional junk or rent a sea kayak, just get out there and see what you discover.

Stand-up Paddle Boarding and Surfing

Stand-up paddle boarding, or SUP, has been sweeping the world by storm, and Hong Kong is no exception. Spend a few hours paddle boarding at your leisure or forego the paddle altogether and give surfing a go at Hong Kong’s famous surfer beach, Big Wave Bay.

Macau Bungee Jumping

If you’re looking for something even more adventurous, take a ferry next door to Macau, where you can bungee jump off the Macau Tower, one of the original sites of bungee’s originator, A.J. Hackett. At 233 metres, it’s the highest bungee jump in all of Asia, and the second highest in the world. Free falling at 200 km/h toward the city below? Now that’s enough to get anyone’s heart pumping!

Could you find your sense of adventure in Hong Kong? Which activity would you like to try?

• I have never actually visited Hong Kong but have heard that many people love all the adventurous activities available. I tend to shy away from outdoorsy stuff mostly because it ends up more painful that it’s worth but scuba diving and bungee jumping is definitely something I would be interested in trying. Thanks for sharing! May just have to book my next trip to Hong Kong.

Thanks for your comment Melissa! Hong Kong is a wonderful country. Most people don’t even know they have adventure activities :)

• Michelle Hwee says:

How cool! I really do want to go and visit Hong Kong one day. Pink dolphins sound amazing! I never really thought that you could actually see them in person! Also the squid fishing sounds pretty unique, I love that photo, definitely something different and great to try! Thanks for sharing this with us!

• Taya says:

Oh Hong Kong is beautiful. I doubt I ever get over there though. Now that Pink Dolphin Spotting sounds breathtaking! I’d love that opportunity to see them in their natural habitat.

• 80 different types of coral sound really interesting because only a few come to mind when I think of ‘coral.’ I’ve always wanted to go snorkeling, and Hong Kong isn’t one of those places that I associate with this activity. It’s amazing how squids produce and squirt ink. And, I would love to see a pink dolphin. Overall, you’ve highlighted a great deal of activities that are new to me in terms of Hong Kong.

I don’t think most people would associate snorkeling with Hong Kong, but they should! HK has some beautiful clear beaches on the northern side of the country. Just, no tourists ever make it out that far :)

• Lauren says:

I have always wanted to go to Hong Kong. I’ve heard it is absolutely stunning! Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will definitely use these when I travel there someday!

• Natalie says:

Wow all of these look like they would be a lot of fun. I don’t know about squid fishing, that sounds a bit crazy. pink dolphin spotting, I didn’t even know that was a thing. But paragliding and Scuba Diving and Snorkeling have been on my bucket list for some time now.

The pink dolphins are so cute! And squid fishing is a ton of fun. Hopefully you get to try all these unique experiences someday.

• These are great ways to spend time in Hong Kong. I had no idea that squid fishing was a thing you could do while visiting. I don’t think I could do the bungee jumping at that high up in the sky.

• Bailey K. says:

This is so good to know since I’m an outdoor junkie! Wherever I travel I try to find natural places with hikes and beautiful landscapes. I’m so glad I’ll be able to find that in Hong Kong! I think I’d like to try paragliding. It would be amazing to see the city from so high up. :)

Hong Kong has tons of beautiful hikes! That’s why I love living in mountainous countries :)

• rochkirstin says:

We have never tried those adventures in Hong Kong because all we do as tourists are eat, shop, and visit more tourist attractions every time. It’s nice to know that you can do squid fishing there. Is it easy to catch (like compared to fish)? What bait did you use? That’s pretty interesting!

• Nancy says:

So in that monkey picture, is the lil guy simply just hanging out on a street sign? I wonder if you had picked him up, would he bite you. I might be being naive, but it’s something I’m wondering about, because they’re cute – but I have heard that they might not be so cute when you go up to them.

• Corinne says:

Beth, I would love to find out more about the squid fishing. I would definitely do that next time I’m in Hong Kong. Are there charters?

• rebecca says:

war games would be awesome

War games was a lot of fun! It was like intense paintball… only more painful, haha.

• these are some great options! They have pink dolphins in Goa but I’ve still never seen one.

• Looks like I will have to make a return trip to HK as I missed out on so many adventure activities!

Most people don’t think of HK as an adventure destination, but it certainly offers a lot!

• I’m too chicken for bunge jumping (and probably catching squid, let’s be real) but I’ve always wanted to try paragliding. Could proooooobably find that a bit closer to home, but I’m thinking it makes a perfect excuse to head on over to Hong Kong.

I’m too chicken for bungee jumping too, but catching squid? C’mon girl, all you do is stand there with some fishing line! haha
      Let me know when you’re headed out to HK and I’ll meet you there in a heartbeat!