5 Easy Day Trips from Kuala Lumpur

5 Easy Day Trips from Kuala Lumpur

Don’t be fooled into thinking Kuala Lumpur isn’t worth a long visit, as there is actually quite a lot to do there. I could have easily spent a week there if I wanted to visit all the main tourist destinations, and to explore the culture and cuisine a bit deeper.

Even if you do find yourself getting a little bored in KL, there are plenty of great day trips that you can take for a nice change of scenery. I was lucky enough to go on two separate ones, but today I’m going to tell you five easy day trips from Kuala Lumpur worth taking.

Putrajaya

Not a lot of people pay a visit to Putrajaya, but I think that will start to change soon. Located 25 km south of Kuala Lumpur, it’s the new capital city and administrative center for the Malaysian government.

There is beautiful architecture and gardens to be seen here that shouldn’t be missed, especially the Putra Mosque. Painted in light pink hues, this mosque sits picturesquely on a lake and looks particularly stunning at sunset.

Getting there: The fastest way is by the KLIA Transit train from KL Sentral Station to Putrajaya Station for RM9.00.

Batu Caves

Malaysia - Jan 2014

The Batu Caves is easily the most popular day trip option as it’s only 13km from the city and easily accessible by the train or bus.

The shrine is dedicated to Lord Murugan, a Hindu deity, and you’ll be greeted by the 143-foot-high gold statue of him upon your arrival. There are actually three different main caves, but to get to them, you’ll first need to climb 272 steps while warding off potentially aggressive monkeys!

I personally found inside the cave to be a little underwhelming, but if you can go during a festival I’ve heard it’s much better. Despite this I still really enjoyed seeing the cave from the outside and of course, the cute monkeys.

Getting there: The easiest way to get to Batu Caves is to take the KTM Komuter train from KL Sentral Station to Sentul Station for RM1.00.

Genting Highlands

It’s no secret, Kuala Lumpur gets hot. I mean, really hot. It’s oppressive. With no beaches that close to cool down at, one of the best places to go is Genting Highlands.

Located high above the clouds, to get to Genting Highlands you need to ride on the longest sky cable car in all of Asia, which runs a whole 3km. Once there you’ll have a choice of visiting your choice of touristy resorts, theme parks, casinos, you name it.

For those looking for a quieter time, there are also great jungle trails and beautiful, lush scenery.

Getting there: Use the Genting Express Bus Service from KL Sentral Station. Tickets cost RM10.30 but this price also includes the Skyway cable car fare.

Melaka

Malaysia - Jan 2014

Melaka has been colonized by the Portuguese, Dutch, and British over the past centuries, and there is plenty of evidence of this past that remains today. Small enough to explore by foot, there is plenty to see and discover at this UNESCO World Heritage Site.

It might be a bit touristy, but in a good way. Apart from the diverse architecture, there is also a large art scene with galleries lining the streets, and a unique local cuisine to experience called Nyonya, which is not found anywhere else.

Getting there: Comfy coach buses run every 30 minutes from Terminal Bersepadu Selatan for around RM10.

Kuala Selangor

The Kuala Selangor Nature Park is almost three square kilometres of forest reserve, particularly well known for its mangrove swamps, which are some of the largest in Malaysia.

Also in Kuala Selangor are the famous kelip-kelip, or fireflies. These beetles synchronize their light emissions, causing large flashes of light. Drifting down the Selangor River in a traditional sampan at night with thousands of pulsing lights around you is incredibly romantic. This is one of the only places in the world where you can experience this sight.

Getting there: Booking a tour is the most convenient way to get there. Otherwise, plan on taking a bus there and then taxi home as the bus stops running too early to enjoy the fireflies.

Have you been to any of these places? Which day trip would you choose?

1. February 10, 2015 / 12:39 am

Glad I’ve stumbled upon your blog! I’m currently in Kuala Lumpur – I’m staying for two more weeks – and these recommendations are very welcome! I’m here visiting my boyfriend who’s working here for a couple of months – so that means most of the things I’ll be doing I will be doing alone. Would you say these things are possible to do alone? :-)
    I’ve been to the Batu Caves this weekend, unfortunately we didn’t see any monkeys there!

February 10, 2015 / 8:29 am

Definitely doable alone! I was there by myself the entire trip– minus meeting a few random people in the hostel for some activities. Really?? No monkeys? That’s very rare! I wonder where they all went…

2. May 14, 2014 / 9:33 am

Kuala Selangor sounds magical! Thanks for helping me plan my upcoming trip!

May 28, 2014 / 8:31 pm

How long will you have in KL? It’s a great city.

3. April 1, 2014 / 7:10 am

I think I would choose to visit Ganting Highlands & Melaka. I looked up Nyonya but couldn’t find anything on the web; do you have any pictures or know what’s in this dish? I’d love to try it one day!

April 2, 2014 / 4:00 pm

Baba Nyonya is actually the name of the culture and people, so try searching “Baba Nyonya food” :)

4. March 26, 2014 / 9:13 am

When I first read this post I thought Batu Caves was spelt Bat Caves, Bat Man lives in Kuala Lumpur? I am so there!!!! Great post!

March 30, 2014 / 3:51 pm

Haha, we made plenty of Batman related jokes about the Batu Caves during our trip!

5. March 24, 2014 / 12:47 am

Kuala Selangor Nature Park sounds amazing especially with all of the fireflies flashing at once. I’d love to float down the river and see that!

March 25, 2014 / 4:08 pm

I think it sounds really romantic and peaceful!

6. March 21, 2014 / 11:13 am

Awesome! Im a UNESCO geek so love the sound of Melaka. Thanks!

March 25, 2014 / 4:02 pm

I’m quite the UNESCO geek myself, if you haven’t, you really should visit Kyoto! 17 sites in one city to explore :)

7. March 21, 2014 / 8:06 am

They all sound like great day trips! Going to Kuala Selangor to see the kelip-kelip would be so fun and I would love to visit the jungle trails in the Highlands too!

March 25, 2014 / 4:01 pm

I didn’t get to experience the kelip-kelip, but next time I will for sure! It sounds so great doesn’t it?

8. March 18, 2014 / 12:51 pm

I have been to Kuala Lumpur once and visited Batu caves. I must appreciate that you have posted brief information about the tourist spots but unfortunately I could be at all of them I hope I would be there very soon. My previous Kuala Lumpur tour was just for two days. I will definitely try to plan a long tour. Thanks for the post.

March 18, 2014 / 1:35 pm

I think it’s pretty common for people to spend only a day or two in KL, usually as a stopover. Most people seem to think there isn’t much to do, but there’s actually enough to make it worth a full week trip. Glad you got out to see the Batu Caves at least!

9. Mihai Dobre
    March 17, 2014 / 5:44 pm

I recommend as well to visit Kuala Lumpur . Is the perfect place to stopover for a few days when youre on vacation with the familly or in the honny moon ! I should recommend to everyone who travel to Kuala Lumpur their local FOOD !

Kuala Lumpur is a hungry traveller’s dream destination – a multiethnic city boasting a wide-ranging cuisine shaped over time by the European, Indonesian, Indian and Chinese traders, colonisers and labourers who have landed up here. Fancy breakfasting on Chinese dim sum? How about an Indian dosa (savoury pancake) for lunch, followed by a selection of rich Malaysian curries for dinner? You should try it ! Best regards

March 17, 2014 / 8:13 pm

The food was easily my favorite part of KL!

10. March 12, 2014 / 11:27 am

Great recommendations. I’ve always thought Kuala Lumpur would be a great stopover for a few days. I’ve never been but I’d love to check it out if I get the chance. I have a love/hate relationship with cable cars (I think they are great but also terrifying) so I’d definitely have to torture myself with the longest cable car in Asia!

11. March 11, 2014 / 5:12 pm

Great recommendations! I am always looking for such information – on places to visit near by a given city!

March 12, 2014 / 10:28 pm

Thanks Lori! Hopefully if you ever go to KL you can try out one or more of these great trips :)

12. March 11, 2014 / 1:20 pm

They all look great Beth, but I have always wanted to go to the Batu Caves so that would be my pick!

March 12, 2014 / 10:27 pm

The Batu Caves was fun for eating delicious Indian food. I’d go back just for that!

13. March 11, 2014 / 11:57 am

I would love to visit The Batu Caves, it’s so amazing!

March 12, 2014 / 10:27 pm

You’ve never been? I’m surprised!