This week we would like to introduce Samantha of Samantha En Route. Samantha started traveling as a baby with her family and it’s grown into her major passion. Now that she’s an adult she’s interested in making it her career. She loves understanding and exploring new cities, cultures, and cuisine and sharing it with others. She also strives to educate others on the importance of travel and encouraging them to visit new places.
1. What inspires you to travel, and how would you define the word ‘traveler’?
A traveler is someone who has been there, done that, and come back for seconds. Someone who, even when they’re working a 40-hour job, has their mind in another city and constantly preparing for their next trip.
2. For those who don’t yet know you, can you explain your travel style?
I’m pretty new in the travel blogging world and don’t spend most of my time traveling at the moment, which is why it’s been tough coming up with material and even calling myself a traveler. Right now I’d be traveling only on vacation time or for work.
3. How do you afford your travels?
While studying in Spain I taught English which was enough to cover my rent. Now, I’ll be saving up through work!
4. Where was your first international trip and how old were you?
India, nine months old.
5. If you had to settle down in one location forever, where would you choose and why?
6. Have you ever had high hopes for a destination, tour, etc., only to be disappointed in the end? Or any travel mishaps?
Madrid was not exciting at all. I thought for sure the city would enthrall me but it was actually quite boring – plus the weather was bad AND my cell phone got stolen/lost. I would like to give it another shot, though, someday.
7. What’s the funniest or weirdest cultural idiosyncrasy you’ve either witnessed or experienced?
I honestly think it’s weird that America uses dryers when doing laundry and even more weird how much I hated not having one in Spain, Australia and India. The US and Canada are very unique in that sense – most countries don’t deal with dryers!
8. What keepsake do you have to get at all your destinations?
Shot glasses, post cards, and small street art.
A digital weighing scale for my luggage. It’s a lifesaver.
10. Why did you begin blogging? And how did you come up with your blog name?
I began blogging so my family could keep up with my year studying abroad in Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
It took forever to come up with my blog name. I knew I wanted some kind of synonym to “travel” in the name but not directly that. “En route” seemed fitting since I’m also in my twenties and en route to the rest of my life.
11. What’s next for 2014?
I just got back last month from 5 weeks in Australia to visit my mom’s relatives (she’s got a million first cousins). We spent 3 weeks in Melbourne, 1 week in Sydney, and 1 week in Darwin. It was an amazing vacation and a nice break from reality!
Backpack or suitcase? Backpack
Window or aisle? Aisle
Solo or group? Solo
Tapas or sushi? Tapas
Beach or mountains? Both!