Is the Maldives the Ultimate Honeymoon Destination?

Is the Maldives the Ultimate Honeymoon Destination?

Planning a honeymoon is almost as important as planning the wedding– and equally stressful. There’s balancing budgets and bookings, not to mention picking the perfect destination.

Your honeymoon will be the first time you are traveling together as a married couple, and after all the stress of the big day, you’ll certainly want a little relaxation. It’s your vacation of a lifetime; a time to enjoy the first few days, or even weeks, of married life, soaking in the moment with the one you love, all while being able to forget about your normal life back home.

Whether you want to embark on an exotic adventure or spend a week in paradise, is up to personal preference, but one thing’s for sure– it’s got to be romantic.

Maldives - Nov 2013

I’ve probably dreamt about my honeymoon destination just as long as I’ve dreamt about my wedding day, and for me, I’ve always felt that a honeymoon should be somewhere tropical.

While being whisked away to Paris or sipping wine in Napa Valley might be utterly romantic, those scenarios just don’t seem fitting for a honeymoon, but rather for a surprise getaway or anniversary celebration.

No. Instead I’ve always dreamed about relaxing on the beach in my own personal paradise for my honeymoon. Destinations like Hawaii, Fiji or Bora Bora are ones that used to immediately come to mind.

Now, there is only one place that I can appropriately deem the ultimate honeymoon destination–

The Maldives.

Maldives - Nov 2013

Isolated from the rest of the world, the Maldives is the perfect destination for romance, luxury, and relaxation. There’s little not to love about these breath-taking islands, and the words “tropical paradise” hardly does them justice.

People might only dream of crystal-clear water and powdery white sand– but in the Maldives, this is reality.

Alone on a deserted island for a day, a candle lit dinner on the beach under the stars, or how about relaxing in a private bungalow seemingly floating above endless azure water. These are the things that honeymoons are made of, and these are all made possible in the Maldives.

It’s a destination both he and she will love. A destination neither can forget.

Maldives - Nov 2013

He Says…

A honeymoon is all about spending time with your other half and creating new memories. The Maldives is an exotic place that not many have experienced before, and offers a wide variety of experiences to share.

She Says…

After marrying the person of your dreams, splurge to visit the destination of your dreams. For me, I can’t think of a place I’d rather celebrate our love than in the sunny Maldives.

For us, we both agree, the Maldives is the ultimate honeymoon destination and a place we’ll always long to return to.

What we loved: our over water bungalow.
Thing to splurge on: romantic A La Carte dining experiences.
Don’t miss: romantic excursions like champagne sunset cruises.
If only: it was more budget friendly, we’d be there each anniversary!

Maldives - Nov 2013

Again, one last huge thank you to the kind staff at Kuramathi Island Resort and Kurumba Maldives for making our time with them so special. It truly was the trip of a lifetime!

Where is YOUR ultimate honeymoon destination? Or where did you go?

1. February 28, 2015 / 2:38 am

I would absolutely love to spend my honeymoon their, it would be a dream come true as i have heard nothing but wonderful thins about the maldives and i agree if only the budget was more friendly.

March 3, 2015 / 5:25 pm

Yeah, that’s really the only problem!! But, smaller resorts are beginning to appear, so I think it’s starting to change. :)

2. February 26, 2015 / 8:50 am

I have heard so much about Maldives lately! From the look of your pictures I can see why. Looks like the perfect destination to fall in love or celebrate love.

March 3, 2015 / 5:25 pm

It really was. Pretty sure it would be hard NOT to fall in love when you’re in such a romantic setting.

3. February 25, 2015 / 10:02 am

What a beautiful place to spend a honeymoon. Thanks so much for sharing your photos, everything looks so romantic and lovely. I’ve never been there but I’d really love to go one day. Not on a honeymoon but as a tourist looking for adventure.

March 3, 2015 / 5:24 pm

There is plenty of adventure to be had here! Especially if you love the outdoors or diving!

4. February 25, 2015 / 4:29 am

Since I am getting married soon, honeymoon destinations have been on my mind for quite some time. The Maldives tops the list, I mean, look at how beautiful it is :) I loved this post because it just made me remember how great the Maldives really is. Just a matter of getting the fiancee on board, now.

March 3, 2015 / 5:23 pm

Pretty sure it won’t be hard to convince him! ;) Congrats by the way!!

5. February 24, 2015 / 11:58 pm

the Maldives sound AMAZING! I haven’t traveled much in my life, but I really want to go here! Thanks so much for your thoughts on this being the ultimate honeymoon destination! Maybe this would be the perfect trip for a second honeymoon for me and my hubby!

March 3, 2015 / 5:22 pm

I think it would be for sure!!

6. Kristen
    February 24, 2015 / 9:21 pm

Hi! this is my first time to your blog! I am also from Chicago ( Wheaton) and I am totally jealous of your travels! It is SOOO cold here! Your honeymoon looks amazing! That clear water looks amazing! That really looks amazing!

March 3, 2015 / 5:20 pm

Well, right now I’m in Chicago too! And yeah, it has been cold :(
      The water in the Maldives was absolutely stunning!!

7. brook
    February 24, 2015 / 2:59 pm

well i absolutly would love to go to maldives for my honeymoon. it seems to be the paradise on earth. but who knows it my future husbend would also like to gothere or not.i hope so :D

March 3, 2015 / 5:20 pm

Who wouldn’t want to go here?? ;)

8. February 24, 2015 / 1:30 pm

Wow, so beautiful. I wish we had had the money for the Maldives when we got married. We had to choose something more close to home. But now that we’re older and wiser, the Maldives will just have to be an anniversary destination for us! Thanks for sharing. :)

March 3, 2015 / 5:19 pm

It would make for a perfect second honeymoon! I’d love to go back for our honeymoon, but yeah, it is expensive. Might have to try out Hawaii instead ;)

9. February 24, 2015 / 8:33 am

Oh my it looks like it’s the ultimate honeymoon. I have never been to Maldives but now i’m really wanting to go. I think its about time we get a “honeymoon” trip. 5 years of marriage counts right? I’m going to talk my husband into it haha

March 3, 2015 / 5:17 pm

Pretty sure 5 years deserves a honeymoon! Go go go!

10. January 1, 2014 / 9:31 am

Looks amazing! Love the writing in the sand – very cute. Happy New Year and safe travels!

January 3, 2014 / 11:53 am

It was amazing! Happy New Year to you also :)

11. January 1, 2014 / 6:07 am

I’ve heard wonderful things about the Maldives and would love to experience it personally, honeymoon or not. Although I wouldn’t mind being pampered on a gorgeous island for my honeymoon … :D

January 3, 2014 / 11:53 am

There were def a lot of people there who were on their honeymoon… but also enough who weren’t that it wouldn’t make you feel out of place if you were just traveling there :)