The Many Architectural Styles of Malaysia

The Many Architectural Styles of Malaysia

Apart from eating lots of delicious food, my other favorite part about visiting Malaysia was gawking at its wonderful architecture. Malaysia is made up of so many different cultures, and has also been colonized at various points by the British, Dutch and Portuguese, so you can imagine the architecture is kind of all over the place– but I liked that.

In all my travels, I don’t think I’ve been to a country that has more architectural styles than Malaysia. Here is just a sampling of what I encountered:

Mughal

Buildings with Mughal architecture began popping up at the turn of the 20th century in Kuala Lumpur. Majority of the buildings in this style of architecture can be found near Merdeka Square and Chinatown.

Malayan Railway Administration Building, Kuala Lumpur

Sultan Abdul Samad Building, Kuala Lumpur

Ministry of Information, Communications and Culture of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur

National History Museum, Kuala Lumpur

National Textiles Museum, Kuala Lumpur

Tudor

Many parts of Malaysia were under British rule from the 1800s up until the 1950s. Many of the older buildings were built under British architectural influence. Tudor style buildings were especially popular because the structure could be modified to acclimatize with Malaysia’s hot and rainy environment.

The Royal Selangor Club, Kuala Lumpur

Victorian

Another popular British architectural style you’ll still find is Victorian. A majority of schools, theaters and historical buildings around KL were built in this style. One of the most well preserved examples is the Central Market.

Central Market, Kuala Lumpur

Gothic

While there aren’t terribly many gothic structures in Malaysia, a few of the most well known cathedrals built in the 1800s were made in this style.

Church of St. Francis Xavier, Melaka

Dutch

From mid-1600s to mid-1800s the Dutch colonized the southern port city of Melaka. This would actually be the longest that Melaka was colonized by foreign rule. Even today many of the buildings look like they could be straight out of Amsterdam.

Christ Church, Melaka

Colonial Shophouses

Portuguese

Prior to the Dutch colonization, Melaka was actually a Portuguese colony. At that time Melaka was primarily built as a fortress, although today there are only a few remnants known as the A Famosa.

Middleburg Bastion, Melaka

Grecian-Spanish

Many buildings in Kuala Lumpur, especially in the Old Center, draw inspiration from Straits Eclectic and European architecture. Many of them even  employ white and red brick patterns with an emphasis on old Grecian-Spanish architecture.

Old Market Square, Kuala Lumpur

Straits Eclectic (Malay)

Also known as “Peranakan” or “Baba-Nyonya” architecture, this uniquely Malaysian style can be exhibited in the traditional shophouses Melaka. Inspired by British, French and Chinese architecture, this style was one of my favorites.

Color Beads Shop, Melaka

Restoran Famosa, Melaka

Ng Choon Teck, Melaka

Islamic

With Islam being the official religion of Malaysia, you’ll find Islamic architecture often in Kuala Lumpur. Apart from actual mosques, there are many subtle Islamic geometric patterns and motifs designed into many structure.

National Mosque, Kuala Lumpur

National Mosque, Kuala Lumpur

Jamek Mosque, Kuala Lumpur

Al Bukhary Mosque, Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur Tower from a distance, Kuala Lumpur

Chinese

After Malay, a majority of Malaysia’s ethnic group is made of up Chinese. You’ll find all sorts of intricate Chinese-style buildings across the country, as well as many Chinese temples.

href=”https://www.flickr.com/photos/travelsintranslation/15873525289″>Malaysia - Jan 2014

Petaling Street, Kuala Lumpur

Xiang Lin Si Temple, Melaka

Local temple, Melaka

Dravidian

The third main ethnic group in Malaysia is Indian, so of course it’s fairly common to find Indian-influenced architecture, especially in certain areas of Kuala Lumpur like Little India or Brickfields.

Sri Mahamariamman Temple, Kuala Lumpur

Sri Kandaswamy Kovil, Kuala Lumpur

Batu Caves, Gombak

Late Modernism & Post-Modern

You can’t talk about architecture without mentioning the Petronas Towers! Kuala Lumpur’s claim to fame, these twin towers were some of the first modern skyscrapers built in the city. Almost twenty years later and now KL’s skyline is brimming with modern and post-modern buildings.

Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur

Which architectural style is your favorite?

• Kat says:

Thanks so much for featuring this about my country, and you’re absolutely right, we have all kinds of architectural styles everywhere! Glad you enjoyed seeing them ;-)

Malaysia is such a beautiful country! I love your home and can’t wait to return this fall :)

• James says:

Beth, I’ve added these on my pocket! I’d definitely see all of this in person next year. Sultan Abdul Samad Building interests me second to Petronas Towers.

• Pam says:

You picked the right places to go in Malaysia. I made a quick drop to Johor Bahru and seen very few temples in the city, I wasn’t very happy. I want to visit Kuala Lumpur on my next trip to the country and see these interesting sights you posted.

• My favorite is definitely Dravidian. But who knew there were so many different architectural styles in Malaysia, very cool write up!

• Wow, such a diverse range of architecture! My personal favourites were Mughal and Dravidian, but the Gothic and Islamic styles are amazing, too!

I honestly like all of them! I love that there are so many different styles in such a small area.

• Jenna says:

Gorgeous buildings! I like the Mughal and Dravidian styles best. The detail in the Dravidian buildings is so cool–would love to see them up close in person!

They’re so intricate and detailed up close, the photos don’t nearly do them justice.

• Great comparison post of architecture in Malaysia.Your photos make me realize how much of a melting pot of cultures the country is.

Before traveling there I really had no idea. I expected it to be similar to Singapore, but it was so much more of a melting pot than that!

• Great post, I love how eclectic the mix of architecture is. The Dravidian influences is my favorite I think.

Seeing all the Dravidian and Mughal architecture really makes me want to visit India!

• How cool! Thanks for introducing us to the different sites of Malaysia! My fav is Al Bukhary Mosque – stunning architecture!

I really like that one as well. It was a building I saw from the train, so I had to get off at the next stop to go check it out!

• Fascinating subject! And your photographs really describe each one well and make for a interesting topic. I never knew the names of each of the styles Malaysia had to offer, as I too was just there and found the styles to be so eclectic, that i didn’t really know what I was looking at. and never really realized Malaysia had such a diverse history until i was there and even then didn’t understand all the architectural styles I was looking at. Thanks for the history lesson!

I really didn’t expect Malaysia’s architecture to be so eclectic, so I was really surprised to see such a variety myself!

• Charlotte says:

I’ve been to Malaysia before but I didn’t even notice all these styles! You’re so knowledgable!

• Jameela says:

Wow amazing pictures and very interesting topic. I never knew Malaysia was so eclectic… true i don’t know much about Malysia but i never realised it had such a diverse history

• Jen says:

Great post Beth. Your photos are so nice! I can’t beleive the mix of architecture in Malaysia. It’s quite amazing. I am very drawn to that National Textiles Museum building so I would probably have to say that the Mughal is my fav. Discovering amazing architecture is one of the main reasons why I travel so this post was right up my alley!

Mughal is my favorite as well. Architecture is one of the reasons I’m most excited to finally visit Europe this summer!

• I honestly had no idea there was still a lot of British Victorian architecture in Malaysia! Oh dear, poor Malaysian school children being stuck with our Victorian schools!

Are schools in Britain even still built in Victorian style? I would assume not!

• Hi Beth, there are many schools still in their original Victorian buildings in the UK- especially in London. They don’t build new schools like that but there are many schools in London that have been around since the Victorian era and so remain in the original building. It is not easy to control the temperature in them- they get so hot in warm weather!

Ugh, I can imagine! Even a lot of older schools in the US don’t have air and they get so hot in the summer.

• Agness says:

I love the Chinese influence! Sultan Abdul Samad Building looks amazing!

That buildings was one of my favorites in particular, especially at night when it is all lit up!

• Yana says:

My favorite were Mughal and Gothic…Malaysia is definitely on my RTW list!