Pushing My Limits in Mexico

Pushing My Limits in Mexico

You know, despite traveling all over the world, I’m honestly o ot much of an adventurer. Sure I may try eating the occasional weird thing or take part in an off-beat festival from time to time, but you’ll never see me bungee jumping or sky diving. No sir, not me, not ever!

I’m the girl who’s afraid of riding the sky gondola and even simply walking over steam vents. C’mon, you can’t tell me that no one’s ever had one of those grates fall out from under them!

I was so afraid of those tiny Parisian elevators that I opted to walk up the stairs each time. Seven flights worth! And while dragging 30 pounds of luggage with me!

I guess as far as culture vultures go, I’m at best a culture chicken. Yet, somehow here I am, still traveling the world– sometimes even solo! I guess it really does go to show that anyone can do it.

But so far nowhere has pushed me to my limits like Central America and Mexico did. After traveling overland from Costa Rica to Mexico, successfully surviving from all things that could kill me in Costa Rica and somehow not dying in Guatemala, I thought I was finally in the clear.

Johnny and I had somehow made it to beautiful, boho Tulum and thought we could finally relax. And then I was informed of all the adventure activities that had been planned for us!

I wasn’t, and still am not, an adventurer, but Mexico certainly made me look like one!

Rappelling into Caverns

The mere mention of the word rappelling had me anxiously wringing my hands. I thought I had managed to escape this activity back in Costa Rica, but here I was faced with it again. I figured that we would do a few less scary activities in order to build up to this one, but before I knew it I was being strapped in and ready to go. Why was this our first activity?!

Looking down into the well-like opening below, I tried to listen closely to Captain Snake’s instructions but found myself repeatedly being distracted by the thought of the sharp rocks and long drop below. What if the harness gave out? Or the ropes?? My mind was racing.

Watching Johnny go down before me, I took a few deep breaths and told myself that I could do it too. It was easy, right? As I turned around with my back to the opening, they told me to sit down. SIT DOWN?? On what?! There’s nothing to sit down on! I began to freak out again– this was anything but easy.

Taking one last deep breath, I pushed myself away from the wall and the next thing I knew I was down underground in a cavern. Excited and full of adrenaline, all I could think was how I wanted to do it again!

Riviera Maya - Sept 2014
Riviera Maya - Sept 2014

Snorkeling in Cenotes

Cenotes are basically caves with collapsed ceilings revealing their water underneath. This naturally-occuring phenomenon is unique to the Yucatan Peninsula, so of course swimming in them was at the top of my to-do list.

When Captain Snake said he’d be taking us snorkeling through them, I got super excited. Now this was the type of adventure I could handle! I love snorkeling.

When I first set my eyes on the cenotes I was in love. I mean, look how beautiful nature can be!

Riviera Maya - Sept 2014
Riviera Maya - Sept 2014

Little did I know that minutes later we’d be ducking under crazy stalactites, finding our way through a maze of narrow dark passageways and facing hoards of bats who call the caves home.

While it was incredibly beautiful, Kristin, who calls herself as an armchair adventurer, and I joked how it was also terribly horrifying at the same time.

Riviera Maya - Sept 2014
Riviera Maya - Sept 2014  Riviera Maya - Sept 2014

Zip-Lining into Cenotes

Zip-lining is just another one of those things, like bungee jumping or skydiving, that I just have no interest in. Partly because of my fear of heights and partly because this activity just seems crazy, I never thought I’d see myself take part.

Again I was proven wrong and the next thing I knew I was zip-lining into the cold waters of a cenote down below.

Feeling the wind in my hair, it was certainly a unique way to take in the landscapes of the underwater world and jungles surrounding us. And while I’m sure I’ll being seeing more mild zip-line courses in my future, don’t expect me to be taking on the crazy intense ones of Costa Rica anytime soon!

Cancun - September 2014
Cancun - September 2014

Big Game fishing

The one adventure activity I was genuinely excited for was big game fishing. I went on my fair share of fishing trips growing up, and while I hadn’t put my skills to test in years, I was more than ready to get back out there.

The weather started out horrible and we almost didn’t go out because the waves were so bad, but we convinced them to take us out anyways.

Cancun - September 2014
Cancun - September 2014

Maybe it wasn’t the best idea as half our boat ended up sick, but that didn’t stop us from still trying to chase down fish hoping to snag that big catch. In the end we only ended up making one catch, but it was so worth it.

Look at the teeth on that barracuda!

Cancun - September 2014

I think I’ve had enough adventure to last me for a while. ;)

Are you adventurous? What are your favorite heart-pumping activities?

A special thank you to the Riviera Maya Tourism BoardAlltournative Ecoarchaeological Expeditions and the Cancun Convention & Visitors Bureau for hosting our stay in Mexico.

• wow really great job beth! you seem to hit some real adrenaline adventures. i have yet to go big game fishing but maybe soon. love those cenotes near tulum!

• Katie Behara says:

Which Cenotes did you go to? We have been to the Riviera Maya several times but I’ve yet to go to snorkeling in a Cenote! Would love a few ideas on which ones to go to!

• I really enjoyed this post. Sometimes we have to push past our comfort zones to experience new things, so that fear has no power over us. We spent 4 months in the Riviera Maya and really enjoyed snorkeling in the cenotes. We found so many fun adventures there that we might have to go back! The beaches are so beautiful and the sea so warm… Anyway, thanks for sharing your adventures!

• Camesha says:

I want to travel with you!! This looks like so much fun. I’ve been wanting to try zip lining for a while now.

• Krystal says:

We like to go deep sea fishing in the Florida Keys. That looks like a lot of fun there in Mexico!

I’ve never been to the Florida Keys, but I’d love to take my fiancé deep sea fishing. Will have to look into visiting!

• Eliz Frank says:

I’m proud of you and impressed that you went for it and kept on going through those caves and into the water. Love your photos too.

• WOW! This looks like a lot of fun. So adventurous. I don’t know if I could get the nerve to do a lot of this but you know some of it does look downright fun.

It took a lot of nerve, but it ended up being super fun. Glad I pushed myself… though not sure I could do it all the time. Don’t think my heart could take that ;)

• This looks awesome. So glad you had so much fun and rode the wheels off.

• Looks like you had an awesome trip!!! I love trying new things when we travel!

• Thank you for being the only other person I know that hates walking on sidewalk grates. I HATE THEM. My hubby laughs at me.

Ok. As far as being more adventurous, you certainly are. Kudos to you!

• Wow. Your photos are breathtaking and it looks like 1. you had a great time and 2. you conquered some fears. Once you push through and break out of the comfort zone a whole new world opens up.

• Roseys says:

What a crazy good time! I love every single picture too, it looks like a very cool trip. And those little elevators in France…. I agree, some of them are scary stuff!

• Amby Felix says:

I love Mexico, but have only gone to visit family and such. I’ve never really gone for vacation. Great job trying some really cool activities!

• Kori says:

Zip lining and repelling look like a lot of fun. My step-mom’s family is from Mexico though I’m not exactly sure where.

• Donna Ward says:

Wow – when you said you were not into bungee jumping – then you were Rappelling into Caverns – I was totally caught off guard! At first that deep hole you were going into was ‘NO not me’, but then I saw the beauty and yes I am with you on this! Wow again

Well, rappelling isn’t nearly as scary haha. Still would never go bungee jumping… there’s just something about the fast speed and waiting for the rope to catch you…nope. Never!

• Nancy Lustri says:

Wow! You’ve seen so many beautiful things and had so much fun along the way! We’ve had wonderful vacations in Mexico too. We love the Mayan Riviera! :) Have a great weekend! nancy

• Sharon says:

Wow…good for you. Look at all of that, half of that would scare me too. I gotta go out on a limb and get busy with some of this stuff

• Cassie says:

It looks like you had quite the adventure in Mexico! I couldn’t do a lot of the things you did!

• Dogvills says:

What an amazing trip. You are courageous to try the zip line. I am not sure I would have done it

• Wow! Good for you! Repelling looks super scary, but really fun. What a beautiful vacation! Adventure is so wonderful!

• Kathy says:

Great photos! I love pushing my limits! I’m a huge risk taker, so I’ll do just about anything. I think it’s great to be able to push your limits. You may never know what you really can do if you don’t go for it.

• lisa says:

All of those activities sound fun! I would love to rappel down a cavern or zip line!

• Lisa Bristol says:

I would love to go on these adventures. These places look so amazing. These are beautiful photos.

• Your adventures look awesome to me. I’ve never gone zip lining nor snorkeling but I would LOVE to one day.

• Jeanine says:

Wow. How amazing, what an adventure. Rappeling looks so awesome..I would be terrified to do that but I would SO love to try it. How amazing.

• Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

It sounds like you had quite the adventure in Mexico. It’s awesome that you made the most of your trip!

• Your photo of cenotes is beautiful! I’ve read about them on another travel blogging website and immediately knew I want to see them one day too! Congrats for pushing your limits, that is what travelling is all about to me! Pushing your limits and enjoying it!

Thanks Marta! The cenotes were incredible, and there are surprisingly so many different types of them. My favorites were the cave-like ones though :)

• Michelle says:

Whoa! Sounds like you had QUITE the adventure in Mexico!! I’m so jealous of everything you did… especially the Cavern exploration :)

The cavern explorations and the rappelling were my favorite parts by far! I hope you get to try them sometime!

• It’s really nice to see that there are other ‘cautious’ travel bloggers out there! It can be so rewarding when you just push through the terror though :) Lovely photos!

Haha, I wish I wasn’t so cautious, but I’m learning to be a little more adventurous. Baby steps ;)

• Miquel says:

Facing your fears can be so rewarding. This actually looks like so much fun!

• Whoa Beth, stunning photos! I giggled at the part about walking over grates, because I am the same way… here in NYC I am ALWAYS dodging them for fear that I might fall in :D

Glad to know I’m not the only one!
      I’m hoping they’re not EVERYWHERE in NYC, as I’m probably heading over for my first visit in January ;)

• Kristin says:

You always hear that cliche that you only really grow after you leave your comfort zone– kind of true! Fortunately, the Riviera Maya offers the perfect opportunity to try a little adventure without ever fearing for your safety lol. The guides were all excellent– and the payoff– I think the cenotes were even more spectacular in person!

I really didn’t know what to expect when I learned about the cenotes, but they were one of the highlights of the trip!